BGC-Laguna Beach Club History

Where We Came From

For nearly 70 years, the Boys & Girls Club of Laguna Beach has helped young people to grow, thrive and reach their potential. Today, our mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring and responsible adults. Our Club has grown from serving 250 youth in 1952 to over 4000 in 2018.
historical club poster

1952

The Boys Club of Laguna Beach is founded by community leaders to provide a safe and supervised place for kids to spend their free time. The first Clubhouse opened on Main Beach.

An image of the Laguna Beach B&G Club on PCH in 1952
Historic 1967 promo photo of boys basketball tipoff inside the Wells Fargo building on Ocean Ave. in Laguna Beach

1967

The Boys Club of Laguna Beach moved to its 1085 Canyon Road location.

1992

The Club officially changes name to The Boys & Girls Club of Laguna Beach.

1992 group photo outside the old Canyon Enrichment Center
1997 boys and girls club emblemed passenger van

1997

The Club started serving students of the Capistrano Unified School District at the Canyon Branch Enrichment Center. Today, the partnership includes seven Aliso Viejo elementary, middle and high schools, as well as a charter school.

2000

The inaugural Art of Giving gala to raise funds, friends and awareness for the Club. Terry Anne Barman launches the Even Start Preschool at The Club to serve local low-income families free of charge, thanks to community support. Coastal Family Therapy provides free onsite counseling services to families at The Club.

a woman in the canyon enrichment center
2001 ground breaking photo with board members and executives

2001

Thanks to the leadership of Donnie Crevier and Keith Swayne, a $3.3M capital campaign is kicked off. Community support is mobilized to renovate and add a second floor to the Canyon Branch Enrichment Center creating a state of the art 25,000 sq. ft. facility.

2004

Construction is completed and the brand-new Canyon Branch Enrichment Center opens its doors to children and families.

2004 group thank you photo
Entrance to the Blubird Enrichment Center

2005

Boys & Girls Club acquires TLC on Bluebird Park, creating the Club’s 2nd Enrichment Center. TLC was originally the Girls Club in Laguna Beach, founded by Harry Bithell and community members.

Keith Swayne and Donnie Crevier co-chair the start of an endowment campaign to help support the Club in perpetuity. The organizational budget reaches $1.1M which scholarships given to 10 percent of Club members.

2010

The Endowment fund reaches $500,000 in support. The organizational budget reaches $1.7M which scholarships given to 31 percent of Club members.

older people talking to kids while taking a tour of the Canyon Enrichment center
three attendees of the 2014 night at the ranch event

2014

Former club kid Leif Hanson and Steve Blue launch annual A Night at the Ranch to raise funds for the Club.

The Club begins serving schools of Laguna Hills and Lake Forest for summer programs.